European Placemaking Labs
Livable Cities: How to Influence Policy-making (2015)
Urban Foxes' first Placemaking Lab funded by the European Union proved to be a great success. Participants from 9 countries with a wide range of backgrounds, from educators to policy-makers. During one week participants were immersed in the Brussels' reality, visiting good practices, discovering new tools to influence policy-making, meeting local politicians and developing their own tools and ideas to create better cities.
Urban Foxes' believed there was a need to push and help citizens to take action. The political world is making lots of concrete decisions that impact our lives on a daily basis. Decisions about mobility, funding for social and/or youth work, environmental issues, construction of parks, etc.
We, as citizens, often don't have a saying in this. We believe that citizens should have more ways to be involved in decisions that affect their lives. A good example are bottom-up citizens initiatives. Creative actions supported by a large community that can influence policy making and give people a voice. This project wants to experiment and facilitate youth organizations with the support citizens' actions in an urban environment need to flourish.
Provide citizens with the competences to set up actions with young people in order to achieve more citizen participation in policy making in an urban environment.
* Learn about active participation in order to influence policy making;
* Discuss how youth can be involved in policy making through citizen initiatives;
* Discuss how bottom-up activities work in different countries;
* Visit good practices aiming at influencing policy making;
* Learn how to set up successful citizens initiatives
* Develop and Implement actions aimed at influencing policy
* Make an action plan for local actions when returning to their own reality